Independance Day Challenge, 18 Sept. 2011Posted: September 18, 2011
It’s been a quiet weekend, rainy and pleasant. I’ve caught up on some of my reading as I wait for new books to come in. Fall is sneaking in slowly, and I’m starting to pull out clothes and linens for the cooler weather. Mostly because I want to; 60-70’f isn’t really cold except that it’s cooling off from 90’f and it’s damp. And I really want it to be closer to 50’f. Yes, my favorite seasons are fall and winter.
1. Gardening: Checked the sweet potatoes on the balcony. The ones I’ve kind of ignored all year. All the originals are still edible, and I pulled a fingerling-sized new one. The rest are still in the pots to give them more time to grow. Still – SUCCESS! I can grow sweet potatoes on our shady balcony! With more attention, I should get a reasonable harvest next year.
2. Waste not (preparations): nada
3. Want not (manage your stores): zip
4. Build community: zilch
5. Eat the food: Shepherd’s pie, apple pie, spaghetti. Nice warm favorite foods. Yum.
6. Crafting: Making Sweetie a basic-but-warm wool hat. He needs it in the rain/drizzle we’ve had the last couple of days.